San Diego


San Diego is a wonderful town to visit. It is a town designed to attract tourist dollars with places like Sea World, Wild Animal Park, Lego land, and the Zoo. The USS Midway has been converted into museum and it’s worth the time to visit.

I’ve lived in San Diego for about 9 years some time ago. Then I could say it was a wonderful town to live in. But that was long ago, before it grow beyond its abilities to handle traffic, housing, and it’s own civic government expenses… but I won’t go into that here.





We have been staying with Joye Mason, my surrogate mother since 1972.





Joye enjoys walking and knows all the little know trails, like Tecolete canyon.



Wednesday, we visited the zoo--- at Mary’s insistence. What a wonderful place to visit if you are into animals serving indeterminate sentences in solitary confinement. I know that’s a little harsh but I don’t care for zoos. It has wonderful walking path lined with domestic and exotic plants. The entire zoo is clean, modern and very well finished. It’s getting a bit pricey for a zoo at $22 (no discounts available on basic admission). It still was a very nice place to spend 3 or 4 hours. It’s best to arrive as soon as it open.






















It’s hard for Mary and I to visit San Diego without overeating Mexican food. We know many little, and not so little, places to enjoy the finest dishes. For taquitos or rolled tacos, you have to go to El Indio’s. Joye has been coming here since 1945 and I've followed along since 1972. When I first came here, El Indio was about 1/4 the size it is now. It may have grown but the food remains wonderful.






















Mary has become a true believer, and also thinks a trip to San Diego is incomplete without El Indio tequitos.

The tracker has had a problem since we left. I think I've located the problem and will attempt a fix tomorrow. The real test will start when we leave San Diego Monday morning.

San Diego gas price: $3.199
Miles thus far: 755
Overall MPG: 13.36

It looks like the tracker is working better now. I hope that continues. I've changed to track link at the top of this blog to show a better overall map of our route. If any one is wondering why the tracker is sitting still in San Diego, we've been using Joye's car for all our tourist activities.


Every time we are in San Diego, we have to stop at Margarita's in the Ocean Beach section of San Diego.


This recipe has changed over the years but I'm going to reserve judgement until I've had a chance to sample them another 100 or 200 times.